In the past few years, we have seen an enormous shift in companies' operations. The traditional model of having a fixed office and employees working from that location 9-to-5, five days a week is thankfully no longer the norm – enter the era of hybrid remote work.
Recent Stanford research shows that most companies are asking teams to come in 2-3 days per week, as hybrid work is proving to be the best solution for companies and their people. According to other remote work statistics, hybrid work boosts motivation, engagement, productivity, and retention.
At the same time, executing hybrid work well means that beyond improving leaders' remote management skills, companies also need to think about the way to neatly balance in-office and remote time spent, who comes in on which days, and what happens on those days.
When it comes to managing a hybrid workforce, one of the difficulties is determining how to allocate desk space effectively. We all want to avoid asking people to come back into the office, just to find out there's no space to do work. Hot desking can facilitate a more fluid and cooperative work environment by letting employees reserve desks, conference rooms, and other resources on demand.
The hot desk booking apps we discuss in this article go beyond just booking desks, and also allow you to track attendance to inform improvements to the , schedule meetings, and events, and assign tasks and projects, while boosting team collaboration and engagement.
What Is Hot Desk Booking Software?
So what is hot desk booking software? In short, desk booking software allows people to reserve desks, meeting rooms, and other workspaces in hybrid offices with fewer desks than the total number of employees using them.
In the hybrid work model people can work remotely and come to the office whenever needed or during fixed (team) days as captured in your hybrid working policy.
By leveraging hot desk software, hybrid and remote managers can efficiently manage office spaces and cultivate a flexible, collaborative work atmosphere.
Hot desk booking software has become crucial in optimizing office resource utilization, something most companies need to do now that hybrid remote work has become mainstream. Its benefits are particularly evident when accommodating impromptu meetings or events without disrupting the regular workday flow.
Besides matching people and desks, this software solution often offers real-time availability checks, streamlined booking and cancellation management, comprehensive reporting, and analytics functionalities.
A new generation of this kind of software also focuses on the 'why' of people in the office and helps facilitate the right people being together in person at the right time.
Why Do You Need a Desk Booking System?
Desk booking systems provide organizations with a convenient and flexible way to manage their workspace and accommodate the changing needs of their employees. Let's find out why you need a desk booking system for your workspace and what it can actually do for your workspace:
Fulfill Employees' Post-Pandemic Expectations
As an employer, you must be concerned about your employees' new expectations about their work environment when they return to work. The desk booking system can help organizations fulfill employees' expectations for the new work environment by providing greater flexibility, communication and collaboration, health and safety, comfort, and increased productivity.
Accommodate a Hybrid Working Model
A desk booking system is a perfect tool for managing hybrid workplaces. It allows employees to reserve a desk or workstation in advance, either in the office or remotely. This provides greater flexibility for employees who may need to work from home or come into the office on different days while allowing you to manage your office space, available desks, and costs more efficiently. This empowers employees and makes a company more appealing to prospective employees.
Benefits of Desk Booking Software
A desk booking system offers a wide range of benefits for both employees and employers. If you are still skeptical about using it, here are some key benefits of the desk booking system that will convince you to use it:
Optimize Space Utilization
In most offices, many workspaces are occupied unnecessarily, even if the people don't need them. With a desk booking system, employees only reserve a desk when they actually need it. A desk booking system helps optimize desk space utilization in a shared office environment. With a desk booking system in place, an employee can easily find and reserve a workspace, reducing the amount of unoccupied desk space and maximizing the use of available resources.
Flexible Work Arrangements
The trend towards more flexible work arrangements, including remote work and flexible hours, has increased the demand for desk booking systems. In a Gallup Poll, 37% of the employees said that they are willing to leave their current to work in a more flexible work environment. By using a desk booking system, employees can reserve a desk or workspace, regardless of location and schedule, which increases flexibility and helps ensure that they have a place to work when needed.
Desk booking systems can also facilitate collaboration between employees by enabling them to book workspaces near their colleagues or in specific areas of the offices. Desk booking systems allow employees to see which desks are available at a given time, making reserving a space near their team for a more organized work schedule easier. For example, if they need to work on a big project with their team, they can use a desk booking system to book a space without interruption.
The desk booking system can help organizations save on real estate costs by optimizing desk space and reducing the number of unoccupied desks. It helps make every desk or workstation available to all employees, so more space will be well-spent. By monitoring occupancy rates and managing workspace size, the desk booking system will enable you to save on maintenance and incidental costs.
Improving health and safety
With the COVID-19 Pandemic, health and safety concerns have become a top priority for many organizations. With a desk booking system in place, businesses can easily manage the number of people in the office at any given time, which can help to reduce overcrowding and ensure that social distancing guidelines are being followed to improve health and safety conditions.
With a clear understanding of hot desk booking software's purpose and benefits, let's now assess the top 10 booking software options below.
Top 10 Hot Desk Booking Software in 2023
While we often suffer from software overload, hot desk booking platforms offer a promising way to improve hybrid work and offices. This software can enhance employee engagement and productivity while addressing office space management costs and efforts.
If you're a hybrid workforce manager, exploring the available hot desk booking software options is highly beneficial.
This, of course, raises the question of which software or platform best fits your needs. No worries! We've looked at all options and highlighted each platform's pros and cons below. This is our top 10 – in no particular order – based on the information available in November 2023:
- Eden Workplace
Eden Workplace is a comprehensive platform that offers various modules for desk booking, room scheduling, visitor management, and more. The user-friendly interface is well-organized, with real-time updates that ensure accurate booking information. Their ticketing system allows easy collaboration and resolution of HR, IT, and facilities requests.
- Eden Workplace has modular pricing options, allowing businesses to choose only the needed services.
- Emphasizes safety and compliance with transparent visitor management and automated delivery systems
- Some employees may require training to use the platform effectively, leading to a potential learning curve
Featured user comment
Eden makes it easy to pull reports on who's coming into the office daily and get a monthly gauge of the office activity. Because we have more desks than employees, there are many times when we don't have space for everyone to come in. With Eden, employees can check out the app and figure out if they can book a reservation. We don't ever run into an issue anymore where someone will come in and not have a desk to sit at. – G2 Verified User in Publishing Mid-Market (51-1000 employees.)
Pricing: From $89 per location per month.
With its intuitive scheduling interface and many available automation rules, Skedda ranks among the top hot desk booking platforms. The flexibility of the booking system allows you to evaluate the studios, conference rooms, and workstations at your disposal and reserve them as needed.
Booking a room alone couldn't be more straightforward, thanks to the intuitive and completely automated user interface. Check availability and make a reservation instantly by using their dynamic floor layouts. One of our favorite UI features is the time-of-day range-slider that informs you of when your preferred option will become available again.
- The platform's user interface is organized and straightforward, making finding and reserving available desk space simple.
- Automation tools make client booking and payment processing easier and faster, saving time and effort.
- The comprehensive analytics data may glean insights into the popularity and frequency of use of the available workspaces.
- Despite Skedda's extensive personalization options, first-time users may have a learning curve.
- Skedda's flexible pricing structure might make it more challenging to predict costs compared to predetermined plans from competing software vendors.
Featured User Quote
Skedda is saving us time. In the past we have used google and outlook calendars, as well as Excel sheets which are manually updated which took up a lot of admin time. Skedda allows my staff to book their own spaces and allows me to monitor and report on statistics which feed into budget management as well as increasing/decreasing spaces. Skedda has saved nearly a full time earner's job and allowed us to use that resource elsewhere. – G2 Reviewer in Enterprise (> 1000 employees)
Pricing: Skedda has a free plan, while the pro version starts at $50 per month.
Smartway2 is a workplace scheduling application that helps employees be more efficient by allowing them to reserve resources like hot desks, conference rooms, parking places, and other equipment before arriving at the office. The platform can manage the current difficulties of hybrid work, and it has connectors with Microsoft Outlook and Office 365, as well as a mobile function for booking on the move.
The Smart Desk Recovery feature of the platform frees up unwanted reservations to boost desk availability for staff.
- You can easily reserve a room using your Outlook Calendar and see whether your coworkers can meet in person.
- Robust rules engine and sanitation scheduling help businesses prioritize employee health and safety of employers.
- Pricing information is only accessible upon request.
Featured user quote
We were attempting to schedule several large offices to avoid crowding with constrained space and elevator demand and keep our large team of people happy and motivated by adapting to their new normal - sometimes working from home - schedules. We have achieved all that and more. – G2 Reviewer
Pricing: There is no public pricing for Smartway2
Robin is a desk booking software ideal for companies implementing a hybrid workplace policy. The system facilitates employees in booking meeting rooms and desks with ease and also enables them to locate their colleagues promptly. Numerous offices worldwide use Robin, and the platform provides tools and insights to allow organizations to manage the employee experience effectively.
- Provides real-time data on the availability of resources, allowing for quick bookings and schedule changes.
- Offers detailed analytics to help businesses understand how their workspace is used.
- The mobile app can be challenging to work with.
Featured user quote
Our office has more staff than desks, so using Robin to allow staff to book their desk before they come into the office is useful so we are not over capacity
Pricing: Robin doesn't list public pricing.
Cafe is a hot desk booking software that offers a user-friendly platform for managing office resources and workspace reservations. Its focus on simplicity and ease of use makes it suitable for companies seeking straightforward solutions. One notable feature of Cafe is its ability to customize booking rules and policies, allowing organizations to tailor the platform to their specific needs.
- User-friendly platform with a focus on simplicity and ease of use.
- Allows for customization of booking rules and policies, providing flexibility to adapt to unique requirements.
- Facilitates efficient office space management and resource reservations.
- Cafe's feature set may be relatively basic compared to more comprehensive hot desk booking solutions.
- Limited integration options with other tools and systems.
Featured user quote:
Café helps us reconnect people with each other in a hybrid work organisation, but also to achieve a corporate project that aims to redefine the fundamentals of working better with our time and teamates. We have observed undeniable benefits, people take more pleasure in coming back to the office knowing who's going to be there. We were also facing the problem of large attendance on the same day, which could cause space problems, Café helped us to spread everyone's attendance over the week. – G2 Reviewer
Pricing: Cafe is free to use up to a certain level, after which professional plans are available.
Deskbird is a versatile and intuitive hot desk booking software that facilitates the reservation of desks, meeting rooms, parking spots, and other resources for employees with convenience. Deskbird's notable feature is its ability to seamlessly integrate with various calendar programs, communication tools, and active directory systems, streamlining the integration process into your current workflow.
- Multiple booking methods, including a web platform, mobile app, and integration with Microsoft Teams and Slack
- Health policy review and incognito bookings for added privacy and security
- Real-time analytics and utilization metrics for better workspace optimization
- Multiple integrations with popular calendar programs and communication tools
- Dedicated zones and access restriction options for more control over office space
- Limited customization options compared to some other hot desk booking software
- Pricing may be more expensive than some other options, starting at $1.80/user/month
Featured user quote:
We have been using Deskbird since May 2022 and use both room booking and weekly planning. From our point of view, it makes no sense to use the products individually. They are so well interlinked that the combination of both provides a strong efficiency boost in room allocation, which in our opinion is the only economical use of the tool. Here, the costs are very moderate and absolutely justified for the benefit that one achieves through Deskbird in hotdesking. – G2 Reviewer
Pricing: Deskbird starts at $1.80 per user.
Kadence offers a comprehensive desk booking software solution tailored to the needs of modern workplaces. Kadence stands out as a versatile platform for managing your teams and spaces with a focus on boosting team productivity and optimizing workspace utilization. One notable feature of Kadence is its advanced analytics and reporting capabilities, which allow organizations to gain insights into workspace usage patterns and employee space booking trends to make informed decisions.
- Dedicated 1:1 Hybrid Consultant Expert help with hybrid work models
- Boost team productivity with AI-powered Scheduling and Booking Suggestions to help your teams connect in the right places
- Versatile Mobile, and Web platforms with full Microsoft Teams, and Slack integrations for complete booking and coordination flexibility
- Thorough past, present, and future space and booking analytics for accurate space utilization data reporting
- Visitor Management system is not as advanced as others'
Featured user quote
We have reduced the size of our Office by half and this is enabling effective management of space in a Hybrid fashion. Having created dynamic working spaces that is very different from a fixed desk structure, the Kadence tool enables a much more dynamic environment. Feedback from the teams are that they like being able to see who is working and meet up with colleagues.
Pricing: Kadence doesn't publicly list pricing.
If you're using Windows and looking for a hot desking solution, go no further than Condeco. It offers complete services and is an excellent fit for new businesses and organizations with a mix of traditional and remote employees. Fixed, flexible, and bookable workspaces are all supported by the system so that employees may select the option that best suits their needs. A graphic map is available on their website, mobile app, and Outlook, making it simple to reserve a room. Users may also reserve parking spots and create collaborative communities for their teams.
- Compatible with over 15 different applications
- Allows efficient reservation of available workstations in real time
- One of the oldest platforms in the industry, having big companies like Pepsi as its customers
- Condeco pricing starts at $45 per user. Larger companies with many staff may, however, incur higher costs.
- It's designed for older, less tech-savvy users, and the interface reflects this.
Featured user quote
We moved to hot-desking recently since going back into the office, and condeco has allowed for us to do this pretty seamlessly. All our shared spaces are visible visually, through the booking grid, using calendar features, and helps to find colleagues. – G2 Reviewer
Pricing: Condeco doesn't have public pricing available.
Designed to assist organizations in managing their shared spaces, Officely is a cloud-based hot desk booking software with several valuable features and connectors. Officely's interface with Slack is a notable feature that allows customers to see real-time updates on office availability and personnel locations. This is an excellent tool for companies with hybrid workforces who must communicate and collaborate with employees in different places.
- Provides individualized health questionnaires in reservations
- Offer a safe method of recording data and keeping track of workers' activity to track down any stray contracts
- Officely is more expensive than other hot desk booking software choices, with pricing beginning at $2.50 per user per month.
Featured user quote:
Officely gives great visibility over our offices and capacity planning as well, I love the invite function and also the daily reminders of who is in tomorrow. We've used other desk booking software and they weren't any where near as easy as this is. – G2 Reviewer
Pricing: Officely has a free plan, after which pro plans start at $2.50 per user per month.
Envoy is a comprehensive solution designed to enhance workplace management by providing tools for visitor registration, desk booking, and meeting room reservations. Its versatility makes it suitable for companies transitioning to hybrid work models. One standout feature of Envoy is its integrations with popular calendar apps and communication tools, ensuring seamless adoption into existing workflows.
- Offers a holistic approach with features for visitor registration, desk booking, and meeting room reservations.
- Integrates smoothly with popular calendar apps and communication tools, enhancing user convenience.
- Provides a versatile solution for companies embracing hybrid work models.
- Envoy's pricing details may not be as transparent as some other options, requiring potential customers to inquire for accurate cost information.
Featured user quote:
Envoy Visitors is solving problems related to COVID screening and ensuring that those coming into work have not been in close contact with someone with COVID or have not contracted COVID themselves. It is been beneficial in ensuring that our organization can create a safe and healthy work environment for our employees. – G2 Reviewer
25 More Hot Desk Booking Software in 2023
You may find that the options above aren't enough for you to find your perfect platform, or you simply want to explore more alternatives. Good news: almost every day new and updated hot desking platforms pop up, so you can find your perfect match.
If the top 10 wasn't right for you, consider one of the following software platforms:
- Deskfound: A simple desk booking tool that encourages your team to connect at the office.
- Accordant: A cloud-based hot desk booking platform that offers a variety of features, including space management, booking, and analytics.
- Breeze: A mobile-friendly hot desk booking platform that allows users to book desks and rooms on the go.
- Flexy.ai: A hot desk booking platform that uses AI to optimize desk usage and improve employee experience.
- Clearooms: A hot desk booking platform that specializes in shared workspaces.
- Desktime: A time tracking and productivity app that also offers a hot desk booking feature.
- DeskSpace: A hot desk booking platform that focuses on flexibility and collaboration.
- DeskWhere: A hot desk booking platform that uses geofencing to track user location and make desk bookings more accurate.
- eDesk: A hot desk booking platform that integrates with other workplace management systems.
- Hot Desk Booking: A simple and affordable hot desk booking platform.
- Office Space Manager: A hot desk booking platform that is designed for small businesses.
- PlanoDesk: A hot desk booking platform that offers a variety of features, including space management, booking, and analytics.
- ResDesk: A hot desk booking platform that is designed for the hospitality industry.
- RoomBooking: A hot desk booking platform that specializes in meeting rooms.
- SwipedOn: A hot desk booking platform that uses RFID technology to make desk bookings more secure.
- Tactic: A hot desk booking platform that focuses on data-driven decision making.
- Tribeloo: A hot desk booking platform that is designed for the creative industries.
- UnSpot: A hot desk booking platform that uses artificial intelligence to optimize desk usage.
- YAROOMS: A hot desk booking platform that offers a variety of features, including space management, booking, and analytics.
- Zapier: An automation platform that can be used to integrate hot desk booking platforms with other systems.
- Zudesk: A hot desk booking platform that is designed for large enterprises.
- Advanced Workplace Analytics: A workplace analytics platform that can be used to track hot desk usage and make data-driven decisions.
- AppSpace: A workplace management platform that offers a hot desk booking feature.
- DeskBooking: A hot desk booking platform that is designed for the education sector.
- Deskspace: A hot desk booking platform that is designed for the healthcare industry.
- Scoop: A hot desk booking platform that allows users to book desks and rooms in real time right in Slack.
Choosing the best software for you
These hot desk booking platforms offer diverse functionalities to enhance hybrid workforce management. They share the common goal of optimizing office space utilization and fostering collaboration. The elements that set them apart will help you choose which software fits you best:
- Some platforms prioritize seamless integration with existing tools and systems, such as Microsoft Teams, Slack, and Outlook, enhancing user convenience and workflow efficiency.
Modular Pricing and Safety Emphasis:
- Specific platforms offer modular pricing options, allowing you to choose your required services. They also emphasize safety and compliance through transparent visitor management and health policy reviews.
Intuitive User Interface and Automation:
- Platforms in this category stand out with user-friendly interfaces, automated booking processes, and comprehensive analytics. This approach simplifies reservation while providing insights into workspace usage.
Hybrid Work Adaptability:
- Some platforms focus on adaptability to hybrid work models, offering connectors with popular applications like Outlook and Office 365. These platforms aim to streamline desk and room reservations for employees working in different locations.
Real-time Data and Insights:
- These platforms differentiate themselves by providing real-time data on resource availability, enabling effective workspace management, and enhancing the employee experience.
Interactive Office Maps and Coordination:
- Platforms offering interactive office maps help streamline coordination among hybrid teams, enabling employees to view each other's schedules and plan meetings more efficiently.
Simplicity and Integration:
- These platforms emphasize straightforward user interfaces and easy integration with tools like Active Directory or G-Suite, making adoption smoother for users and administrators.
Comprehensive Workspace Support:
- Specific platforms offer a comprehensive approach, supporting various workspace types and integrating with multiple applications to meet the needs of diverse hybrid work setups.
Real-time Updates and Communication:
- Platforms in this group stand out by integrating with communication tools like Slack, providing real-time updates on office availability and employee locations to facilitate effective communication in hybrid environments.
These groups of differences highlight the strengths and focus of each hot desk booking platform, allowing you to choose the one that best aligns with your specific needs and goals. Your company size, industry, how tech-savvy your teams are, and many other facts will all influence your decision.