You have people.
Those people deserve to get paid on time. They deserve time off. They deserve benefits. And much more.
We used to do all that with spreadsheets and outdated, slow, software.
These platforms, often forming the cornerstone of your employee management software stack, will help you work smarter, not harder – key for a thriving Human Resources team (I know how hard you folks have it!)
Here are the platforms I'd consider as a People Operations Lead if I had to choose one today:
#1 - BambooHR
BambooHR helps simplify HR tasks, making it the go-to choice for small to medium-sized businesses. Its user-friendly interface and comprehensive HR functionalities streamline many traditionally time-consuming HR processes.
This strong SaaS employment management software option uses an easy-to-follow outgrowth spreadsheet that can be exported as needed. All the info you need is quickly accessible through a centralized dashboard, streamlining operations for your HR management or team lead.
- Centralized employee database
- Time-off tracking
- Performance management modules
- Onboarding and offboarding workflows
- Detailed reporting and analytics
Best for: SMBs looking for a holistic HR solution that combines ease of use with a wide range of capabilities.
- Intuitive user interface
- Comprehensive HR functionalities
- Robust mobile application
- Limited advanced analytics
- Customizations can be complex
Custom pricing based on the specific needs and size of the organization is available through a price quote only.
G2: 4.4/5.0 from 1,535 reviews
Capterra: 4.6/5.0 from 2,553 reviews
#2 - Deel
Deel shines as a top choice for companies needing to manage global, distributed teams. This global-first HR platform makes it easier to handle payroll, PIT taxes, compliance, and hiring across over 100 different countries.
I am personally impressed by Deel’s streamlined global hiring capabilities from the centralized interface. You can seamlessly manage employee or contractor contracts, onboarding, payroll, and benefits. The platform also provides 24/7 localized compliance support for navigating different global employment laws.
Furthermore, Deel’s global payroll functionality stands out in terms of simplicity and flexibility. Companies can conveniently pay international team members in dozens of currencies using Deel’s various payment methods.
- Facilitates easy global payroll and taxes to employees and contractors worldwide
- Provides comprehensive support for HR compliance and localized employment contracts
- Simplifies the onboarding process and management of employee benefits and information
- 24/7 customer support through live chat
- Robust global payroll capabilities
- Localized support for legal compliance across multiple jurisdictions
- Flexible payment methods and support for numerous currencies
- Intuitive dashboard centralizes global workforce management
- Lacks built-in time tracking tools
- Limited accounting software integrations
- Can be costly depending on team size
- No mobile application
Deel offers a free Deel HR plan for businesses up to 200 employees. For other plans in terms of Contractors, Global Payroll, Immigration or EOR, you may need to contact them to get a custom quote.
G2: 4.8/5.0 from 2347 reviews
Capterra: 4.7/5.0 from 524 reviews
#3 - Namely
Namely offers a unified HR platform tailored for mid-sized companies. Integrating various HR functionalities into one platform ensures businesses can manage their workforce efficiently and precisely.
This is probably your number one employee management software solution for self-service needs. It only works for 25 to 1,000 employees, so there are limited resources based on the size of your company, but that may work to your advantage if you have a more streamlined operation.
- Payroll and benefits administration
- Performance review cycles
- POT management and HR analysis
- Compliance and reporting tools
- Cloud-based information
Best for: Mid-sized companies searching for a comprehensive, all-in-one HR platform.
- Streamlined HR processes
- Emphasis on compliance and reporting
- Engaging social functionalities
- Initial setup can be time-consuming
- Requires training for full utility
There is a great free demo you should try first. Then, the three different payment plans are based on your size and need.
G2: 4.0/5.0 from 305 reviews
Capterra: 4.2/5.0 from 425 reviews
#4 - Zenefits
Zenefits is designed to make HR administration streamlined and effortless, especially for small to medium-sized businesses. With its cloud-based platform, companies can manage everything from payroll to benefits, all in one place.
The real benefit here is onboarding. When there is more than a third of workers searching actively for a job, you want a robust onboarding process to ensure they feel heard and are ready to work. This employee management software provides payroll integration through an intuitive interface as well as most HR functions.
- Simplified payroll processing
- Benefits management
- Time tracking and PTO
- Compliance and reporting
- Employee self-service portal
Best for: SMBs aiming for a hassle-free HR administration experience.
- Centralizes multiple HR tasks
- User-friendly for both managers and employees
- Mobile optimized for on-the-go access
- Limited advanced HR functionalities
- Support can sometimes be slow
Multiple pricing plans are available but a little higher at $35 per month.
G2: 4.0/5.0 from 453 reviews
Capterra: 4.2/5.0 from 811 reviews
Zoho offers an affordable HR solution, catering mainly to solopreneurs and small businesses. While budget-friendly, it doesn't skimp on features, providing robust tools to manage various HR tasks. In other words, if you are a solopreneur, this may be your best option.
With this employee management software, you gain integration access to a wealth of web-based features (through the CRM), like basic word processing, note-taking, and invoicing.
Everything is cloud-based and mobile, with easy integrations from Google, Mailchimp, and Zapier. Pretty much all the beginning automation suites you’d want when growing a startup from your garage, along with solid employee management solutions for quickly expanding.
Zoho Workforce Trends Report
- Employee database and records
- Strong third-party integrations
- Attendance and time tracking
- Performance reviews
- HR analytics and reporting
Best for: Solopreneurs and small businesses seeking a cost-effective yet feature-rich HR platform.
- Affordable pricing structure
- Integration with other Zoho products
- Cloud-based and mobile-friendly
- Works with many automation features
- The interface can feel dated
- Limited advanced analytics
It has a free plan and trial starting at $2.97 per month per user.
G2: 4.0/5.0 from 2,475 reviews
Capterra: 4.3/5.0 from 6,317 reviews
The Bottom Line: HR Software
As you can read above, HR software isn't the clunky mess it once was.
Modern platforms like Deel and upgraded HR tools like BambooHR make it easier (I'd never say easy!) to handle your day-to-day HR needs.
I'd be happy to share more information – just contact me here.